Trust, Responsibility and Focus are the main qualities of a Principal Contractor, values that PMJ Masonry embrace in all aspects of our business.
What is a Principal Contractor?
A Principal Contractor is appointed by the client to control the construction phase of any project involving more than one contractor.
When should a Principal Contractor be appointed?
The Principal Contractor should be appointed by the client as early in the project as possible and before the construction phase begins.
What are the main duties of the Principal Contractor?
The main duties of the Principal Contractor are to:
- Plan, manage and monitor the construction phase to make sure, so far as is reasonably practicable, it is carried out without risks to health or safety and that it exceeds the requirements of the client.
- Ensure adequate welfare facilities for those working on the site.
- Draw up and implement the site rules as necessary.
- Draw up and implement the construction phase health and safety plan.
- Provide a suitable site induction and make sure those working on site have received the training they need to carry out the work safely and without risks to health.
- Make sure the site is suitably fenced and prevent unauthorised people from entering the site.
- Ensure co-operation between those working on the site, and that work is co-ordinated in such a way as to prevent danger.
- Ensure suitable arrangements for effective consultation with the workforce.
- Ensure the right health and safety information is provided to the right people at the right time.
- Liase with sub-contractors to make sure that work is progressing according to time plans.
- Liase with clients to make sure that their requirements are fulfilled.
Why choose PMJ Masonry as a Principal Contractor?
At PMJ Masonry, our contracting expertise and knowledge, coupled with our dedicated management team, far reaching list of approved sub-contractors and industry leading Health, Safety and Environmental record means that we can be relied upon to deliver projects in a Principal Contracting role. We involve all our clients in all decisions made and strive to produce a service that is unrivalled within the industry.